Thursday, April 5, 2012

I have to push!

Babies are funny. They like to come out at the strangest times. Sometimes way to early, sometimes on the side of the expressway, sometimes in a moving car. I think it's funny to deliver a baby in a car. It's so movie-worthy. *the husband is speeding down the street..."it's coming!" Screams the woman, her hands between her legs, bearing down , pants around her ankles.*. Classic. And lucky. I mean, really, who wants to be in labor for twelve hours anyway? I can't wait until I get to deliver a baby somewhere besides the hospital. Like at the mall, or the grocery store, or Target. It's so not scary to me. Unless, my delivery is replayed, than that's scary. Baby stuck, shoulders stuck, PPH. enough said. Babies change you. They change your story and your life. How they come into this world is part of that story. That's why my job is so awesome. I get to be part of that story. And the woman may not remember my face or my name, but i hope she remembers my calm voice and encouragement. So what's wrong with delivering in the car anyway? Well, I'm not there. I don't mean "me"... I mean someone like me. Someone who knows what to do. Someone to support and encourage, and do the right thing. Unassisted births seem to be a hot topic these days. My childbirth certification organization is discussing it daily, having forums, blogs, conferences. It seems like more women are choosing this option instead of the traditional hospital birth. I think, they are looking for a delivery that is more natural, less invasive, more instinctual. I can appreciate that. I think all women ideally want that type of delivery. But when a baby's head is coming through your vagina, natural is not crossing your mind. It hurts. A lot. And to be in a place where they can help you with that pain, is pretty great. That's where I come in. To all the women out there, who have allowed me to be part of their story...thank you. Because your stories are now my stories.

1 comment:

  1. great post. we've got a pretty freaking crazy job, don't we.

    ReplyDelete