Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lions and tigers and hormones, oh my!

We are about to begin our adventure in parenting, I mean, the REAL adventure. Not birthing, and diapering, and feeding and burping and sleeping. I'm talking about the real deal. My twins are almost twelve. Their days are unpredictable, sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes happy, sometimes sad. I feel like I am caught in the whirlwind. Their tears are mine, their frustrations are felt deep in my soul. My intention is to guide them through this storm, and to try to find small islands of calm and peace they can rest upon. Making our home a safe and comfortable place. And making myself available to them to talk, cry and to come to for advice. I have to admit, I don't really know the answers. I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out myself. But I do remember being twelve. I can give them some clarity and insight. I sure hope they come to me for it. Probably not. At least they have each other. God, what I would have given to have a twin at that age. Someone to always be there, who understood me, to talk to. I wish my mom would have been more available back then (and now). Her parenting style was hands-off. Letting me do what I wanted, but with serious consequences. Never guiding and supporting. Maybe that's why I became so independent. My style? Loving, a little over-bearing, consuming, cautious, open, and always trying to cut the cord (artery-vein-artery). Speaking of cord cutting....two of the girls at work had their babies yesterday. I do not envy them. A new baby, no sleep, no down time, no privacy....hey wait, that is my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment