Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mississippi Mud

I miss my Grandma. She took care of me. In fact, she took care of everyone. She cooked, made afghans, hosted holiday parties, made crafts with us. After she died, the family fell apart. Literally. And, frankly, I miss my family. After almost 12 years of parenting, I've realized that no one takes care of ME. I spend every waking hour of my life taking care of someone else. If I'm at home, I'm taking care of my husband, my children and my home. (what a good wife i am) At work, I am taking care of laboring women and their families. (what a good nurse I am) Don't you think everyone needs to be taken care of sometimes? I do. No matter how old you are, everyone deserves their hand to be held, a meal to be cooked for them, someone to ask them how their day was. That's what my Grandma did. She was great. There was no one like her. My grandma made the most amazing dessert. It's called Mississippi Mud. It's a delicious mix of chocolate fudge, marshmallows, and some sort of nut. It was so good, the pan was scraped clean by the end of the night. It was oozy gooey goodness. Yesterday, I went to Jewel and was passing thought the baking isle, and I saw a Mississippi Mud box mix. Seriously!!! I bought it. Of course i did. It tasted like decadent brownies with marshmallows and crunchy yummy stuff on top. It wasn't anything close to my Grandmas, but it was good. (pictures to follow) It made me think of my Grandma, and my family, and the comforts of home. Funny how a dessert can bring back so many memories. I'm crying a little now because I miss her and I miss my Dad. Tomorrow, it will have been 17 years since he died. My one wish is to have him back for one day. Just one. So I can tell him how much I love him. And miss him. And to tell him what has happened since he's been gone. This is a sad post. I didn't mean for it to be. That just happened on its own. Sorry for those of you who had to read it. I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment